As many of you know, I spent the last two months of my summer in Clarkston hanging out with God and refugees. I don't really know how to explain how the last 2 months went, but I'll give it my best shot.
Clarkston is the most diverse square mile in America. Just in the apartment complex I was living in, my neighbors consisted of Nepalis, Iraqis, Sudanese, Burmese, and a ton of other nationalities that I can't remember. The summer camp I was helping out at as well had kids from Eretrea, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan,Vietnam, Thailand, Guinea, and Burma.
Needless to say, I'm back home and all my neighbors are white and its SO WEIRD.
Anyways, for the last two months, I have been poured into by amazing spiritual leaders and missionaries who have given their lives to reach the 6,900 unreached people groups in the world. That's a lot of people. If you go onto joshuaproject.com, you can learn more about the different people groups around the world who are considered unreached. I would recommend checking the site out, it is an awesome resource.
As the team was going through debriefing and kind of evaluating the summer, one of our leaders was telling us that culture shock would probably happen.
Yeah, it's happening.
God has done such amazing things in Clarkston, and it's so hard to leave my fellow interns and the different refugee families and kids that I have gotten to know. But I do know this- God is not just the God of Clarkston. He is the God of Suwanee and of Thailand and of Sudan and of every single aspect of the universe. He is God and He is here with me.
It's going to take me a while to process this summer and to work through all God has been doing in my heart, but I can tell you that I am not the same person I was two months ago. God has done a great work in me. He has beautifully wrecked my life and I will gladly accept pain if it means growing closer to my God and Savior.
During our last days in Clarkston, we made a list of all the people we made pretty good relationships with over the course of two months. The number came out to 102 people. With God, 18 people were able to love on 102 people.
God is so cool, guys. He will use you, He will show His glory- all we have to do is abide in Him and be obedient to His commands.
Clarkston gave me just a peek at how passionate God is about the unreached people who have no clue who their creator is, or how much they are loved by such a magnificent Savior.
So, I am changing my major. God really convicted my heart this summer about my future, so I will be moving away from Theatre as my focus in school. Instead, I will be moving toward majoring in something along the lines of Sociology and International Studies. I believe God is calling me to Thailand for full time missions, in whatever capacity He sees fit.
Thank you all for keeping up with my journey this summer in Clarkston. I hope you will be praying for the unreached, and keep abiding in Him!
Praise the Lord! Grace keep pressing into the things Jesus is leading you towards. No matter the cost. It will be worth the risk. :)
ReplyDelete