Sunday, July 6, 2014

Just Because

My day was pretty cool today, so I decided to write about it.

This morning, I woke up, and the sun was shining and birds were chirping and coffee was brewing and it was just a solid,rad morning. Then we had worship and prayer as a team for little bit. I freaking love worship in the mornings, it just starts the day off right, amirite?

We had a short term group in just for the day today, so we took them on a tour of Clarkston. It's literally one square mile, so that didn't take too long. Then we had more team stuff to do, which then ended in the short term group pairing off with our interns and going to visit families in the community for a little bit.

My group decided to go see our friends from Sudan. To our surprise, the family we intended on going to see was already hanging out with the family I help teach english to. So, we hung out with them. One of the short term team members that was with us is actually learning Arabic, so the three ladies we were hanging out with had a BLAST talking about Arabic with him. I mentioned to Noal, one of the Sudanese moms, that I wish I knew Arabic. She scolded me saying, "You're all talk, you say you want to learn but you do not!"

WELL THEN. Maybe I will learn. Totally true of her though, I haven't learned a whole lot of Arabic. Someday, someday it will happen. Mark my words.

Anywhooo, after that we went to visit a Cuban refugee family after some other friends weren't home. They were the sweetest old couple you have ever seen. The wife came to the door, and after we jogged her memory a little bit, she remembered seeing Hannah(one of the people in our group today) a couple of weeks before. Her husband and her quickly ushered us in, and were so excited that we were there. Thankfully the three other people I was with knew Spanish pretty well.

I attempted to say a few things in spanish, and that just didn't work too well. Oh well. It went something like this..

"Hola!"
"Soy Bonita!" Grace. That means 'I am pretty.' Awk. Definitely meant YOU are pretty.
And then I managed to say "chair of grandma" rather than "wheelchair." I'm good at languages, yes?

They gave us Cuban coffee, and the husband quickly decided that we would teach him English and he would teach us Spanish. We had to leave his house earlier than we all would have liked, but we are for sure coming back to his house soon. He actually is having heart surgery on Thursday, so please keep him in your prayers. He's 80, and has 5 children back in Cuba. He and his wife have only been here about 2 months.

So yeah, God is good all the time and today was just awesome. It still amazes me that in Clarkston it's possible to go from a Nepali house, to a Sudanese house, to a Cuban house all in one day.

Thanks for reading my blog guys, I hope you are encouraged by what God is doing in Clarkston!

No comments:

Post a Comment