"Whats your major?"
"Oh, me? I am a BFA Musical Theatre student."
"Oh, okay. How many classes are you taking?"
"Nine."
"Nine?!"
This is a fairly common conversation for me to have. Yes, I am taking nine classes and surviving them. Barely.
A combination of coffee and Jesus has been my saving grace.
Okay, so I'll admit, it has been a while. I haven't blogged since before I left for Samford, and I apologize to that. Between ballet, lighting lab, acting, and diction, it's hard to keep up with a blog, ya know? Though I don't know who has been reading this. But anyway.
There are five things I have learned since being at college for about three months:
1) There is so much more to singing than I thought.
2) Being outgoing is a learned skill.
3) Priorities, priorities, priorities.
4) The Freshman 15 is a real thing, people.
5) God has a sense of humor. But also an abundance of grace.
My expectations of what Samford would be like and what Samford has actual turned out to be like don't exactly match up. Yet, that's alright. I still love it here. I couldn't see myself anywhere else, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I have made friends that I guarantee you will be in my wedding, I have made my faith more of my own, I have learned so much about my career, and I have learned that I am SO not in control.
Who would have thought that would have taken me 18 years to figure out.
God has shown himself in amazing ways, and provided for me in ways I never could have provided for myself. He has blessed me with soul sisters, an amazing teaching staff, and an amazing new city to explore. He knows and will always know exactly what I need.
Even if what I need, isn't what I want.
My friend Madison Smith comes to mind when I talk about God, probably because she talks about God and His blessings all the time. The way she talks about what He is doing in her life that week, and how He has used just random events to show His glory is mesmerizing. She loves her Lord and Savior more than she can express, and being around her is just refreshing. She gives off such an aroma of Christ and His love.
I hope my faith grows to be as strong and bold as hers is. Even when we were in target today, she was telling everyone we passed, "God Bless!" Needless to sa, Madison Smith is in love with Jesus and you can absolutely tell.
Being around people who love the Lord that much just make me want to go home, sell all my belongings, read my Bible, and fast. They just fill you with this zeal that you can't explain. God has really brought to my attention lately about the importance of relying on Him; this includes trust in His plan, and this, in turn, includes not complaining.
Did I mention I'm a BFA? Yeah, I complain a lot about the workload. Oops.
Yet God has continued to show His work in my heart. Trusting in God isn't easy, but it's vitally necessary. It's the only way to not just survive, but to live and live fully.
This boot camp called College has made it more evident than ever before that I CANNOT survive without His love, even for a day.
So, like coffee, but a thousand times more awesome.
Hey, you're pretty neat. And God is doing some pretty neat things in you. Sooo yeah, love ya lots.
ReplyDelete