"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love and
Be loved in return"
Now, if you do not like musicals or movies, you will not know where these lyrics come from. Let me help you out. They come from the movie Moulin Rouge. I am a theatre fanatic, so musicals really speak to me. I just watched this movie two nights ago.... and last night.. only because I felt like I needed to process the work of art that is Moulin Rouge.
In this movie, it opens up on the story of a man, Christian, who moves to France to learn more about the Bohemian revolution. Now, in France, he stumbles across a group of actors who have him write a play for them. Long story short, Christian meets a girl named Satine who is a prostitute. However, he is enchanted by her and they fall in love.
After you fall in love with Christ, it is hard not to see parallels of His amazing and flawless love in every day life. I find myself finding analogies of the Gospel all the time, just in every day things. I know, I'm weird. But this seemingly irrelevant movie shows just how strong love can be.
You see, Satine is a soiled dove. She has sold herself for a living, and yet Christian (punny), still loves her more than he can bear. He loves her until her last breath, her dying day.
These lyrics are Christian's motto. He loves love. In another part of the movie he claims "Love is like oxygen! Love is a many splendid thing, love lifts us up where we belong, all you need is love!" Though this may be a worldly and fallen view of love, God's love is a many splendid thing. God's love, at least to me, is like oxygen. Without it, I am nothing and can do nothing. God's love is the reason I am alive and well and on this planet. I am in Christ, and Christ is in me! I think that is such an amazing revelation. Jesus died for me. He died for me so He could love me perfectly, and so I could feel that love and try and reciprocate it. He chose me. He rescued me, and He is molding me into perfection.
And that is the greatest love story of all time.
No comments:
Post a Comment